In Times of Bereavement


In Times of Bereavement


At this very distressing time there are many decisions and arrangements which need to be made for which you might need information. We hope the following will offer guidance and support


If Death Occurs At Home

  1. Telephone the doctor who will visit to confirm that death has taken place.
  2. Contact a funeral director.
  3. Arrange to collect the doctor's Medical Certificate of Death (usually from the surgery).
  4. Take this to the Registrar’s Office, (together with the deceased's Medical Card and Birth Certificate, if available) for the area in which the death took place. Alternatively you can register by declaration at any convenient Registrar’s Office but certificates will not be available as these will have to be posted to you a few days later.
  5. The Registrar will normally issue a Green coloured certificate for you to give to your funeral director who will look after necessary arrangements for the funeral. The Registrar will also issue a white notification certificate for the DSS. They will also enquire as to the number of Certified Copies you require for dealing with the deceased finances (a fee is payable for each copy).

If The Death Occurs In Hospital

  1. Contact a funeral director to inform him his services are required.
  2. Collect the certificate from the hospital then follow 4 - 5 as above

Note For Cremation

Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery regarding the additional certification required.


 Please follow the link below to the website to provide you with all the details you require and the nearest Register Office


For more information and advice visit AGE UK "What to do when someone dies"


If you require support during this difficult time you can contact

Cruse Bereavement Care

Preston, Central and East Lancs: 01772 433645


Vine House,

22 Cromwell Road






Citizens Advice Bureau

Ribble Valley

01200 428966/427336


19/21 Wesleyan Row

Parson Lane


Lancashire BB7 2JY



01772 822416

Town Hall Annexe

Birley Street



Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website